Sunday, February 5, 2012

Action Replay Plus

I read somewhere that there were about 500 Saturn games made, yet less than half of those ever got released in the US. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do know that several Japanese-only releases are what got me to recently jump on eBay and get a Saturn. Since a used US Saturn is usually cheaper than a Japanese one, the ARP was definitely a must-buy. Not only because it allows you to play almost all Japanese Saturn games, but also because it has the RAM expansion. This was important since one of my favorite retro-games, Dungeons and Dragons Shadow over Mystara, requires the 4MB RAM card. The ARP works nicely not just for this game, but also for X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Final Fight Revenge, etc... I think there's only a few games out there that won't work; King of Fighters 95 comes to mind,but I can't remember the others.



Bottom line is if you're a fan of retro-gaming, you gotta get a Saturn; and if you get a Saturn, you gotta get the Action Replay Plus. Make sure it's the most recent version you purchase cause the previous Saturn Action Replay versions WILL NOT work for the 1/4 MB RAM games.
As other reviewers pointed out, ARP also provides cheats for the more popular Saturn games, as well as memory storage.

The ONLY problem I had with this was that it took a few times inserting it and re-inserting in to the Saturn and a little bit of jiggling and wiggling to get it to finally work. But I don't know if that's the console's fault (I bought it used after all) or the ARP's, but now that it's in and working properly, I'm never taking it back out!

No comments:

Post a Comment